Post Finishing Services
From constantly innovating during the last 17 years, Modulus has gained deep experience in nearly aspect of digital motion picture post. If you need something special that's not listed below please give us a call.
- Production workflow planning • Post-Production Consulting
- Digital Dailies
- Data Management • Audio Synching • Digital Hub and Backup services
- SD to HD Upconversion • Frame Rate Conversion • Restoration
- Color Correction & Grading • Stabilization • Grain Management • Noise Reduction
- Online Editing
- Title Design • Supers • Motion Graphics • Animation • Moves-On-Stills • VFX
- Deliverables for TV or Distribution • Closed Captions • Technical Spec Reports
- Ala Carte Services
- Subtitles • Audio Description • DCP for Cinema • DVD or Blu-Ray Authoring • Web Video Solutions
Hire an experienced Post Supervisor. Is your data safe at every stage of production? Are your changing crew members following a clear checklist of standards? Is your editor getting bogged down with duties that others should be handling? We'll work with you to create a workflow, calendar, and checklists for an overall game plan for success.
Hire Modulus as a data hub for your production. Picture this: All your data backed up in three copies in separate locations at all times. Your DIT can view a live shared checklist to know that it's safe to wipe the cards. All footage ingested properly. All sound files will be synched to the each take. Each take will be entered in a log against the camera report and sound report. And all proxies uploaded to your AE or editor no matter where they live. You will sleep well tonight.
Documentaries with archival footage, home movies, and mixed sources will benefit from our Conform process. Rather than simply scale up footage, Modulus takes a lab approach to conversion that may take a little longer but yields much better results. We find the highest quality pathway for each class of footage in your timeline to meet the target format.
- Film-like imagery from DLSR footage [post examples for Michael Madsen, Dark Feed, One Cut]
- Unparalled SD to HD conversions [post examples for Beijing Taxi]
- Match AVCHD to Red 4k [post examples for Bostonia clip]
- Restore archival footage for an HD timeline [post examples for Taft or Rarebit Fiend]
Color needs to serve technical and aesthetic goals. Modulus's goal would be to refine the work done by your DP and editor into a consistent aesthetic statement that satisfies all technical needs for the film. Read more about Color Correction and Color Grading here.
Online editing is the assembly process bringing together the sound mix, titles, animation and color work together. It is also where one sees small fixes, framing out a visible mic or trimming off an extra frame from an interview. Online editing is where the film gets approved in it's final form before it's exported out as a ready-to-publish master. Many smaller services feed the online process and these can be contracted separately as needed.
- Title Design for screen text - Opening titles, main title, intertitles, lower thirds, subtitles, end cards and end scroll.
- Moves-on-stills animation (After Effects) and Spotting of stills (Photoshop)
- Visual Effects - Removals, replacements, green screen compositing. Be sure to discuss with us what is needed.
A "DI" or Master File is an extra high resolution copy used to generate all other master parts distribution, broadcast and archival purposes. Modulus has an in-house Quality Assurance department that proofs all masters before shipping. We stand behind the quality of each master.
- Master File (HD or 4K) – a DI or primary master video
- Textless Master File (HD or 4K) – for editing a version for TV, foreign, education, or a trailer
- Web Streaming Master – We create a Hi-bit MP4 for online film festival, YouTube or Vimeo or laptop playback
- Closed Captions – a .SCC made for broadcast
- HDCAM tape masters
- LTO Data Tape Masters - to archive the film master files in a long-term storage format
Ala Carte Services
Once a master file has been approved and exported, other supporting parts can be made as the film's needs expand. If ordered at the time of finishing these can be discounted in a package, but otherwise they can be ordered separately at any time.
- Closed Captions – usually .SCC made for broadcast, SRT or WebVTT for the web
- Subtitles – in English or other languages for DVD or Blu-Ray
- Audio Description Track - We write, record, mix and export an AD Master File
- Watermarking – for secures screeners
- DVD or Blu-Ray Disc Masters
- DCP for Cinematic Exhibition